A place to be baffled, puzzled, confused, and cajoled.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Suck it Up

Sometimes you hear one person say to another, "suck it up". This is a curt way of telling someone that their verbal/emotional response is not appropriate for the situation. If a person wants to appear socially superior and clever, they might say, "suck it up, Buttercup!" Rhyming is always clever, right? This expression must be from a movie or something; I've heard it too many times from unrelated people for it to be mere coincidence.

I used to hear similar bullshit in elementary and secondary school:

"Smile, Tom!"

This is something that teachers would utter when I was sad in a situation where I was expected to be happy...usually some group activity or sing-a-long. What the teachers didn't understand--or selectively forgot--was that smiling is a reaction to something; when something pleases me, I smile. Smiling is a reaction, much like reaching out to catch an object when someone unexpectedly tosses one your way while saying, "hey, catch!" A teacher would not expect me to stand there, arms extended, in the absence of something to catch--why would he or she expect me to smile when I'm not pleased?

Anyway, back to suck it up. Suck what up? What are we, vacuum cleaners? I chuckle at the thought of a housewife (or househusband) shouting "suck it up!" at a clogged and dying Hoover; it's absurd and irrational. Don't you think it's hilarious, and also irrational, that we treat one another in a way that we wouldn't treat our household appliances?

2 comments:

  1. People tell me to smile all the time, especially this fucking goofy coworker of mine. It makes me sick.

    People who smile without reason are terrifying & no one goes near them 'cause they look like lunatics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly.

    I get a kick out of strangers who you accidentally make contact with, and seemingly as a reflex, give you that quick half smile. Looks more like a grimace to me.

    ReplyDelete