A place to be baffled, puzzled, confused, and cajoled.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Rent-a-friend

I recently had a frank conversation with a friend about going to strip clubs.

I don't enjoy the experience very much. My summary of it is this: you're going into a loud, dark building full of other horny guys, only to pay women to pretend they like you. It's strictly a business transaction.

But my friend (let's call him 'Clarence') gave me another perspective, one that intuitively seems accurate. I'm paraphrasing somewhat, but Clarence's view is this:

A man goes to a strip club to purchase fantasy. He crosses the threshold of the club knowing that he will receive female attention; all that is required is money. Because the uncertainty is removed, his inhibitions disappear and he feels more confident. It is an opportunity to temporarily escape the disappointment and rejection that often accompany male/female interaction.

There's no underlying message to this entry; this is just a point of view that I had not considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment